No proposal to set up madrassa board: Sibal
New Delhi: Denying reports that Government
proposed to set up a madrassa board, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday said there was little support to the formation of such a
regulatory board from the Muslim community.
"There is no proposal, because unless the community wants
it, why should we intervene... unless the community comes
forward we will not discuss it," he said at a function here.
The minister, however, said he had discussed the issue
with MPs after a proposal was made in this direction by the
National Commission for Minority Education, "but the MPs
Making it clear that the Government has never proposed to
set up such a board, Sibal said the board is a suggestion of
the Sachar Committee that felt that the functioning and
modernisation of the madrassas should be supervised by a body
which has more academics than theologians.
He added that there are special programmes for the
minority community in the country.
"Wherever there is a concentration of the minority, we
have programmes for setting up institutions of higher
education. We are moving forward in that direction," he said.
A delegation of Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind had recently met the
minister seeking the setting up of a board for madrassas
modelled on the Council for the Indian School Certificate
Talking about emerging trends in higher education, Sibal
said the broader objective of the Government is to move
towards a system where there is an element of regulation and
little role of "inspection raj".
He said legislations like the Malpractice Bill and
National Accreditation Regulatory Authority Bill would improve
quality in higher education and stop institutes from "duping"
students and parents.
Sibal also dismissed apprehensions that the influx of
foreign universities into the country following the passage of
the Foreign Universities Bill will lead to "cultural
The Bill has enough provisions to keep away non-serious
players and fly-by-night operators from the country, he said.
The HRD minister released two books on the occasion --
`Emerging trends in Higher Education in India: Concepts and
Practices` edited by K N Panikkar and M Bhaskaran Nair and
`Quality Access and Social Justice in Higher Education` edited
by K N Panikkar, Thomas Joseph, Geetha G and M A Lal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared