No solid proof against Saeed from India: Pak
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Friday, August 21, 2009, 21:22
  
Islamabad: Pakistan has not received any "solid evidence" against outlawed Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohammed Saeed from India so far, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said today, as New Delhi presented a fresh dossier on the carnage to Islamabad.

The dossiers with information on the Mumbai attacks provided by India do not have any proof regarding the culpability of Saeed, Qureshi said.

He urged India to provide any evidence it has against Saeed, also the founder of the banned Lashker-e-Toiba blamed by New Delhi for carrying out the Mumbai attacks last year.

Any evidence received from India will be reviewed by Pakistan, Qureshi said. Pakistan will not allow its soil to be used for terrorist purposes, he told reporters in his hometown of Multan.

Qureshi spoke as India today presented a fresh dossier on the Mumbai attacks to Pakistani High Commissioner Shahid Malik in New Delhi.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh can share with Pakistan information on any terrorist threats available with the Indian government, Qureshi said.

The sharing of information on terrorist threats had been agreed upon when Singh met his Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani on the sidelines of the Non-Aligned Movement summit in Sharm el-Sheikh last month, he said.

Meanwhile an Indian statement said "some material pertaining to the terrorist attack in Mumbai" was handed over to Pakistan’s High Commissioner Shahid Malik by Indian Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao during a meeting in New Delhi today.

"Arrangements are being made for the receipt of the material here. Once received, the material will be forwarded to the interior ministry for examination," the statement said.

Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi told reporters in his hometown of Multan this afternoon that Pakistan will examine the fresh Indian dossier as and when it reaches the country.

"Our legal experts will examine the new Indian dossier to see whether it is legally tenable," he said when he asked to comment on the fresh dossier handed over to Pakistan’s High Commissioner.

Dossiers received earlier from India had no significant evidence against outlawed Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohammed Saeed but any evidence in the fresh dossier will be examined by Pakistan, he said.

Diplomatic sources told that the fresh dossier contained answers to several questions raised by the Pakistani side with regard to the Mumbai attacks and evidence linking Saeed to the assault.

Bureau Report


First Published: Friday, August 21, 2009, 21:22


comments powered by Disqus