No time-frame for inclusion of Bhojpuri in 8th Schedule: Govt
New Delhi: Government today said it was
considering inclusion of Bhojpuri and Rajasthani languages in
the Eighth Schedule of the Constitution thereby granting it
the status as the official language but could not give any
time-frame to do so.
A Calling Attention motion on inclusion of Bhojpuri and
Rajasthani in the Eighth Schedule of Constitution, moved by
Sanjay Nirupam (Cong), saw uproarious scenes in the Lok Sabha
as more members wanted to participate in the debate and SP and
RJD members even trooped to the Well of the House.
Leader of the House Pranab Mukherjee intervened at this
stage and suggested that since the scope of the Calling
Attention Motion was limited members can have a Short Duration
Discussion in the next session.
In a statement in the House, Minister of State for Home
Ajay Maken said that government could not give a time-frame
for consideration of the demands for inclusion of more
languages in Eighth Schedule to the Constitution of India.
Initiating a debate on the motion, Nirupam said Bhojpuri
was a widely-spoken language across the country and ranked
second after Hindi.
He said the language has a history that dates back to the
seventh century and is also spoken in 12 countries across five
At present, 22 languages have been included in the Eighth
Schedule to the Constitution of India. Of these, 14 languages
were initially included in the Constitution. Sindhi language
was included in 1967. Thereafter, Konkani, Manipuri and Nepali
were included in 1992. Bodo, Dogri, Maithili and Santhali
languages were added in 2004.
Maken said that Sitakant Mohapatra Committee was set up to
evolve a set of objective criteria for inclusion of more
languages in the Eighth Schedule.
Nirupam wanted to know the reasons for having a criteria
contending that there was no such provision till 2004.
Raghuvansh Prasad (RJD) said Bhojpuri was spoken in 14
districts in Uttar Pradesh, nine in Bihar and two in Madhya
He said there were 17 crore Bhojpuri speaking people in
the country and an additional eight crore abroad.
Rajasthani had a history spanning centuries and had a
distinct literature of its own, Prasad said adding that there
could be widespread protests if these two languages were not
included in the Eighth Schedule.
Jagdamika Pal (Cong) also spoke on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared