Not just Jaitley, more BJP leaders were snooped
New Delhi: The snooping row surrounding BJP leader Arun Jaitley appears set to explode into a bigger controversy after the main conspirator reportedly claimed that attempts were made to access the call detail records (CDR) of over 60 persons, including that of top BJP leaders.
As per reports, private detective Anurag Singh attempted to extract CDRs of over 60 persons including Nitin Gadkari, Vijay Goyal, Lalit Modi, and Sudhanshu Mittal.
Mittal, while confirming that he was in touch with Anurag Singh, told a news channel, “We have been victimised. Our CDRs have been accessed.”
Anurag Singh was remanded in judicial custody by a Delhi court on Feb 26. He was earlier accused of tapping the phone of former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh in 2005.
The other three accused -- constable Arvind Dabas, Neeraj and Nitish -- are also in judicial custody.
The BJP has accused the government of "spying on the Opposition" and demanded an apology. Rajya Sabha yesterday witnessed uproar over the issue last week and had to be adjourned.
Terming it as a serious matter, BJP demanded an answer from Shinde as to who ordered this unauthorised surveillance. "This is a government of spies like James Bond and when any government functions in a mafia style then the people of this country does not forgive it. This is a serious crime," said BJP spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi.
However, Water Resources Minister Harish Rawat today termed the attempt to tap phones of BJP leaders as an internal operation of the BJP.
“According to information this phone tapping of BJP leaders is their internal operation. A part of their personal tussle,” Harish Rawat said.
Making a statement in the Rajya Sabha, Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said on Friday that BJP leader Arun Jaitley’s phone was not tapped, only the call details of his phone was accessed.
Shinde said that Delhi Police constable Arvind Dabas had illegally accessed the email id of ACP operations and misused it to send requests to telecom operators seeking call detail records of many persons including several leaders.
Dabas later sold them to one Neeraj, resident of Shalimar Garden, Sahibabad, Ghaziabad, for Rs 1500 each.
The investigations are ongoing, Shinde added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in