NRIs jailed in UK for burglaries, face deportation
London: An Indian-origin man and woman
have been jailed following the discovery of more than 500
items of stolen property at a house in Leicester, and face
deportation to India.
Kuljit Kaur Dhillon, 30, was charged with five counts
of burglary and for obtaining leave to enter or remain in the
United Kingdom by deception.
Jatinder Singh Johal, 24, was charged with 10 counts
of handling stolen goods and two counts of possessing false
identity documents with intent.
The stolen goods were recovered from a house last
year, reports from Leicester said.
The stolen property consisted mainly of jewellery,
mobile phones, cameras and other small electrical items which
had been taken during burglaries committed in October and
The pair appeared at Leicester Crown Court, where
Dhillon was sentenced to 24 months in prison, minus the 227
days she had already spent remanded in custody.
Johal was sentenced to 14 months in prison, minus the
227 days he had already spent remanded in custody.
Both offenders will be deported to India at the end of
Sergeant Wayne Nimblette, from the Neighbourhood
Action Team at Keyham Lane Police Station, said: "This is an
excellent result which has led to a burglar and handler in the
area being imprisoned".
"I am pleased to say that we were able to offer the
victims of these burglaries some consolation by reuniting them
with their stolen property," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families? - Part II
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India?
- DNA: Who are the sponsors and co-sponsors of terrorism in India? Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the mystery of missing IAF aircraft AN-32
- Class Act! Footballer John Obi Mikel donates USD 30,000 to Nigeria's team for Rio Olympics
- Clinton accepts Democratic White House nomination in defining speech
- AMAZING WEIGHT LOSS TIP! Is this the fastest way to lose fat overnight?- Watch
- Not everything they taught you in science was true - 10 myths debunked in this 3-min VIDEO!
- Home Minister level talks: India, Bangladesh resolve to fight terrorism together