Nuclear plants important, will ensure safety: PM
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday stressed on the need to have nuclear power plants while stating that it was imperative to ensure safety of such vital installations.
Speaking in Parliament, PM Singh said, “We must ensure full-proof security of nuclear plants.”
“We will never compromise on security of nuclear plants,” he added.
The PM said it will be harmful for the country if it gave up nuclear power.
The PM’s remarks come just days before the likely start of Kudankulam nuclear power plant in Tamil Nadu.
They also assume significance in view of the Fukushima nuclear plant disaster in Japan last year.
At present, all nuclear reactors have been shut down in Japan for maintenance and safety reasons but there are calls to restart them in view of the growing power crisis ahead of summer.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan