On AB Vajpyee’s birthday, Advani admits differences
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader LK Advani has
said he had some political differences with his long time
colleague and former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpyee
especially on the Ayodha movement and the removal of Gujarat
Chief Minister Narendra Modi after the Godhra riots.
"He (Vajpayee) had reservations about the BJP getting
directly associated with the Ayodha movement. But he accepted
the collective decision of the party - showing that he was a
thorough democrat, by conviction and temperament," Advani said
in an article on Vajpayee, who turned 86 today.
BJP and, especially Advani, had strongly objected to the
recent indictment of Vajpayee by the Liberhan Commission for
the Babri Masjid demolition in December 1992.
The other instance mentioned by Advani where the two
senior leaders did not see eye to eye was on the issue of
removal of Modi after the riots in Gujarat that followed the
Godhra train incident.
"Atalji was among those in the party who thought that
Modi should be asked to quit. I was convinced, after talking
to a large number of people in Gujarat, that Modi was being
unfairly targeted. He was in my opinion more sinned against
than sinning," Advani said.
However, Advani, who was in jail with Vajpayee during
the Emergency and later served as Deputy Prime Minister
in the Vajpayee government, praised his senior as a man who
"would never go ahead with an idea if he knew that I had a
different view on the same."
Vajpayee had reportedly told his party colleagues after
the Gujarat riots that as the Chief Minister, Modi had not
done enough to control the violence.
This was recently recalled by senior BJP leader Arun
Shourie in an interview where he said that Vajpayee had asked
him to talk to Advani on Modi`s removal. Shourie quoted Advani
as saying this would create a upheaval.
In the article written for the Indian Express, Advani said
Vajpayee`s oratorial skills gave him a complex which he
suffered for several years.
"Atalji, in fact, developed within me a complex which
stuck on for many years - that I cannot deliver a public
speech, although I may be able to draft resolutions and write
article - a complex that made me resist the offer to become
the party president in 1972," Advani said.
Advani gave credit to his Rath Yatra of 1990 as part of
the Ayodhya movement for BJP`s "meteoric" growth which led to
bi-polar polity in the country. However, he accused the media
of labelling him a Hindu hardliner while projecting Vajpayee
as a liberal after the yatra.
He said a section of the party felt that this projection
of a liberal leader and a hardliner would help BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!