One dead in shootout onboard Himgiri Express
Asansol (WB): At least one person was killed in a shooting incident that took place on the Jammu Tawi-Howrah Himgiri Exprees early Saturday morning.
A coach attendant was killed and another seriously injured in the incident that took place at Asansol station in West Bengal.
The shots were apparently fired by two ticketless travellers inside the running
express train in Burdwan district.
The duo were shot inside the AC compartment at 2.30 am, minutes before the UP Himgiri Express reached Asansol station, apparently by the two ticketless passengers who had boarded the train from Howrah Station late last night, Asansol
Divisional Railway Manager Jagadananda Jha said.
Sagar Thakur, who received bullet injuries on his chest, was declared dead at the Asansol Sub-divisional Hospital while Ganesh Shaw is battling for his life, he said.
According to statements given by passengers to railway officials, two men who had forcibly boarded the train and had a fight with the coach attendants minutes later.
They managed to seat themselves in the AC compartment and even took to drinking, which was opposed by the attendants, passengers said.
Railway officials said the duo managed to escape at Asansol Station after firing.
Railway Police have begun a probe into the shootout.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16