Only JPC can do a holistic probe into IPL controversy: CPI-M
New Delhi: The CPI-M on Tuesday said a
`holistic` probe into the entire IPL controversy can only be
carried out by a Joint Parliamentary Committee as enquiries by
different agencies will serve a "partial purpose".
Talking to reporters here, party Politburo member
Sitaram Yechury said, "The entire issue of IPL must be
holistically enquired into as independent lines of probe by
Enforcement Directorate, Income Tax or the CBDT will only
serve partial purpose."
The gravity and enormity of the scam could be pin-
pointed and the guilty identified "only if such a holistic
probe is done by the JPC", he said.
To questions on the efficacy of a JPC probe, Yechury
said these independent agencies could be asked by the JPC to
enquire into various aspects of the matter.
In this context, he said the JPC on multi-crore stock
scam, in which the alleged kingpin was Harshad Mehta, had the
involvement of a large number of public sector banks.
After the recommendations of the JPC in this case,
came the demat scam involving Ketan Parekh. "But no public
sector bank was involved. So, rubbishing of JPC probe is wrong
and we will continue to press our demand."
On the telephone tapping issue, he said Intelligence
agencies should be put under a system of Parliamentary
"We are open for a discussion on what mechanism can be
evolved for this purpose. But parliamentary oversight is
necessary," Yechury said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened