Only Ramesh knows what he meant by his Modi-Nixon remark: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday voiced its discomfort over Jairam Ramesh` remarks that Prime Minister Narendra Modi has the potential of emerging as `India`s Richard Nixon` in handling Pakistan and China, saying only the former Union minister can make it clear what he really meant.
"Jairam Ramesh is an intellectual, a political intellectual. Only he knows what he has said or written. You clear it by talking to Ramesh," party spokesperson Raj Babbar said at the AICC briefing.
"I do not know in what context, Jairam has said that," he said.
At the outset, Babbar said that Nixon was the only President of US who had to resign and against whom there was a major political scandal of Watergate during his tenure.
In an interview, Ramesh said that Modi in many ways is like Nixon who opened China to America.
"Modi could become India`s Nixon when it comes to China or Pakistan," he had said, adding that had the UPA government invited Nawaz Sharif, it would have been criticised for feeding him biryani.
"But there is exchange of saris and shawls (now)...Had Dr Manmohan Singh done something pragmatic, BJP would have pounced on him. But if Mr Modi does something pragmatic we are not in a position to pounce on him," he had said.
The party had to earlier distance from its official spokesperson Shashi Tharoor`s "Modi 2.0" remarks. He was criticised by the party for overtly praising Modi.
Taking objection to Ramesh` remarks, a senior party leader on a lighter note wondered if Modi was Nixon, whether Ramesh is his Henry Kissinger.
Kissinger served as National Security Advisor and Secretary of State under Nixon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?