Our accident record `not all that bad`, says Navy Chief
New Delhi: Close on the heels of Defence Minister AK Antony pulling it up over the sinking of submarine INS Sindhrakshak, the Navy today said its record was "not all that bad" in terms of accidents when compared to other navies in the world.
"These (sinking of INS Vindhyagiri warship and INS Sindhurakshak) are isolated and separate cases. The reasons does not derive their linkage from previous cases. Operational risks are fraught in this business of armed forces.
"I would say that our record is not all that bad. We have had accidents there is no denying but if you compare with other navies...," Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi said in reply to a query related to sinking of two warships in recent times.
The INS Sindhurakshak had sunk on August 14 in the Mumbai naval harbour after an explosion probably in its torpedo section killing all 18 personnel on board.
A Board of Inquiry is still on to find out the exact causes behind the accident.
The Vindhyagiri had also sunk over couple of years ago while returning from a sea sortie.
Recently, addressing the Naval Commanders, the Defence Minister had said there was a need to "seriously reflect upon the unprecedented tragedy".
He had said that "it is the responsibility of the Navy to optimally operate and maintain these assets and hardware, as well as train its personnel suitably so that such national resources are optimally utilised and are not frittered away."
The Navy chief refused to give a direct reply on the statement of the Defence Minister when asked about frittering away of national resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list