Over 10,000 workers got emigration clearance for Iraq in 3 yrs
New Delhi: Government had issued emigration clearance to over 10,350 workers for Iraq in the last three years which was discontinued last month following wide-spread violence in the oil-rich Gulf country.
"During the last three years, emigration clearance for Iraq has been granted to 10,356 workers," Minister of State for Overseas Indian Affairs Gen V K Singh told Rajya Sabha while replying to a question.
The Minister said a total of 120 Indians stranded in conflict areas out of estimated 210 citizens have been evacuated so far including 46 nurses in Tikrit.
"In addition, about 2,200 Indian nationals in relatively safe areas have also been given assistance to return to India," he said.
Singh said the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs, in cooperation with the Indian embassy in Iraq, is in constant contact with the Iraqi authorities regarding evacuation of the workers willing to return to India.
Last month Government had announced that it has stopped granting of immigration clearance for travel to the strife-torn country.
According to the Emigration Act, 1983, Emigration Check Required (ECR) categories of Indian passport holders need to obtain `Emigration Clearance` from the office of Protector of Emigrants (POE) for going to 18 countries.
The countries where ECR is mandatory include Iraq, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain, Malaysia, Libya, Jordan, Yemen, Sudan, Brunei, Afghanistan, Indonesia and Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie