Oz RJ calls India `shit hole`, Ganga a `junkyard`
Melbourne: An Australian radio show host
is facing criticism from the Indian community over his
reportedly derogatory comments on India and Hinduism, in which
he called river Ganga a `junkyard`.
A Sydney-based Indian group is seeking an apology from
the radio station following a report that host Kyle Sandilands
made anti-India comments on his "Kyle and Jacky O" show.
According to a report by a local ethnic TV programme
`Desi Kangaroos`, Sandilands said "India is a shit hole" and
went further to describe river Ganga as a `junkyard`.
The Council of Indian Australians (CIA) lashed out on
Sandilands for the "insulting" remarks, and has said it would
take up the issue with Australia`s media regulatory body if it
was not amicably resolved.
"Sandilands made insulting comments against India and
ridiculed River Ganges which is a sacred river in Hinduism.
His ridicule involved some of the practices of the followers
of Hinduism," CIA president Yadu Singh said in an official
Singh said he found Kyle`s comments "insensitive,
insulting, hurtful and unwarranted" and that he was upset and
angered by them.
"Indian Australian community is a peaceful and
tolerant community... It does not attack any nation, national
group or religious practices of any group. It is obviously not
happy when others attack them or their belief system," he
The body has written to his radio station, demanding
an apology from it and from Sandilands.
It said it will pursue the matter and will seek a
satisfactory resolution, failing which the matter will be
pursued with Australian Communication & Media Authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown