Oz RJ calls India `shit hole`, Ganga a `junkyard`
Melbourne: An Australian radio show host
is facing criticism from the Indian community over his
reportedly derogatory comments on India and Hinduism, in which
he called river Ganga a `junkyard`.
A Sydney-based Indian group is seeking an apology from
the radio station following a report that host Kyle Sandilands
made anti-India comments on his "Kyle and Jacky O" show.
According to a report by a local ethnic TV programme
`Desi Kangaroos`, Sandilands said "India is a shit hole" and
went further to describe river Ganga as a `junkyard`.
The Council of Indian Australians (CIA) lashed out on
Sandilands for the "insulting" remarks, and has said it would
take up the issue with Australia`s media regulatory body if it
was not amicably resolved.
"Sandilands made insulting comments against India and
ridiculed River Ganges which is a sacred river in Hinduism.
His ridicule involved some of the practices of the followers
of Hinduism," CIA president Yadu Singh said in an official
Singh said he found Kyle`s comments "insensitive,
insulting, hurtful and unwarranted" and that he was upset and
angered by them.
"Indian Australian community is a peaceful and
tolerant community... It does not attack any nation, national
group or religious practices of any group. It is obviously not
happy when others attack them or their belief system," he
The body has written to his radio station, demanding
an apology from it and from Sandilands.
It said it will pursue the matter and will seek a
satisfactory resolution, failing which the matter will be
pursued with Australian Communication & Media Authority.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards