PAC slams diversion of funds from MPs` devt scheme
New Delhi: Funds released by the Centre for the MPs` Local Area Development scheme were diverted for other schemes and money utilised for inadmissible items, a Public Accounts Committee (PAC) report has said, slamming the ministry concerned for failing to seek action against erring officials.
In its report on MP Local Area Development scheme, the PAC said that Rs 4.67 crore of the funds were diverted to other central and state schemes by 22 district authorities of seven states, although they are not authorised to do so.
"What further irks the Committee is the fact that the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, instead of taking prompt action when the irregularities were pointed out by audit (CAG), is yet to write to the state governments for taking action against the authorities concerned," the report tabled in Parliament recently said.
It said while in some cases diverted funds have been received back, the PAC wants the ministry to impress upon the state governments to initiate disciplinary action against those involved in irregularities.
The Committee also found that in 13 states, 35 district authorities utilised Rs 1.30 crore from the fund on inadmissible items like payment of honorarium, wages, travelling expenses of staff, fuel for official vehicles and purchase of laptops.
The PAC also found instances of doubtful expenditure including non-existence of assets in West Bengal and Jharkhand, payments made on doubtful muster roll entries in Bihar and on doubtful vouchers in Mizoram and Jharkhand.
Although the governments of West Bengal, and Mizoram have furnished certain explanations on the matter, "the state governments of Bihar and Jharkhand did not bother to even respond to the irregularities pointed out by audit," the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof