Pak PM to visit India on Saturday to offer prayers at Ajmer
Islamabad: Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf will visit India on Saturday to offer prayers at the Sufi shrine of Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti at Ajmer though no official meetings have been lined up so far, sources said on Tuesday.
This is likely to be Ashraf`s last foreign visit before the term of his government ends on March 16.
Preparations for the day-long visit on March 9 were being finalised, diplomatic and other sources told a news agency.
No official meetings with the Indian leadership have been finalised so far, a diplomatic source said.
"It seems the Prime Minister wants to offer prayers at the shrine in Ajmer, which he reveres, for the success of the Pakistan People?s Party in the upcoming polls," a source in the Pakistan government said.
President Asif Ali Zardari, the head of the PPP, made a day-long visit to India in April last year to pray at the shrine in Ajmer.
He made a donation of USD one million to the shrine.
Zardari also held a luncheon meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that helped give impetus to the bilateral peace process.
Prime Minister Ashraf has a close relationship with Bilal Chishti, the `Pir` of the shrine at Ajmer.
Chishti met Ashraf twice in Islamabad last year, in December and August. During the meeting in August, Chishti invited the premier to visit Ajmer.
Ashraf accepted the invitation and said he would visit Ajmer at "the first available opportunity".
The shrine in Ajmer is revered by many people in Pakistan, including top political leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Markandey Katju lambasts Umar Khalid over Burhan Wani, Azadi for Kashmir demand – Know what he said
- Nintendo's Mario eyes a Mickey Mouse merchandising makeover
- Hepatitis prevention: Protect your liver with these useful tips
- PROMO alert! Hrithik Roshan as Sarman in 'Mohenjo Daro' —Watch now
- Salim Khan recalls Rajesh Khanna’s stardom, responds to Naseeruddin Shah’s ‘bitter’ remarks about first superstar