Pak prisoner case: Khoso asks India to ensure thorough probe
Islamabad: Pakistan`s caretaker Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso has called on his Indian counterpart to personally look into an attack on a Pakistani prisoner in a jail in Jammu and ensure a thorough investigation.
Sanaullah Ranjay, a Pakistani national serving a life sentence was attacked in the prison in Jammu, a day after Indian national Sarabjit Singh succumbed to injuries sustained in a brutal assault within a jail in Lahore.
In a statement on Friday, Khoso expressed "deep concern" over the incident and noted that a large number of Pakistani nationals were incarcerated in Indian prisons.
He said many of these prisoners had completed their sentences but were awaiting repatriation.
"It is our expectation that the Indian government would ensure the safety of all Pakistani prisoners in Indian jails and also facilitate expeditious release of all those Pakistani prisoners who have completed their jail terms," Khoso said.
He said this humanitarian issue that affected the lives of scores of people should be addressed in the spirit it deserves.
Both India and Pakistan should continue to make sincere efforts to avoid occurrence of such incidents and focus on the safety and security of prisoners in existing forums under the bilateral dialogue process, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof