Pak willing to give voice samples, for joint CBI-FIA probe into 26/11

Last Updated: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 00:00

Islamabad: Sending out positive signals, Pakistan on Saturday indicated its willingness to provide voice samples of 26/11 handlers and offer any other kind of cooperation to India, which pressed for "visible" outcomes in action against all those involved in the Mumbai carnage.

At a joint press interaction with Home Minister P
Chidambaram, Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik said the
agencies of the two countries would be working together to
prevent any repeat of Mumbai attacks and suggested that its
Federal Investigating Agency (FIA) and CBI work together on
the issue of terrorism, including on the 26/11 case.

"I will leave tomorrow with the conviction that we
have both exchanged views, we both understand the requirements
of the situation," Chidambaram said about his talks with Malik
here yesterday.

"We both agreed that we shall address the situation
with seriousness it deserves. So I go back with confidence
that the outcome of our meeting and interaction will be very
good for both the countries," he said.

Endorsing Chidambaram`s comments, Malik said, "Our
resolve is against terrorism and the resolve is to take the
Mumbai attack terrorists, criminals to their logical
conclusion."

He said they discussed a number of issues. "We are
both against the acts of terrorism and we will work together
to clear this menace in this region," he said.

"We will like our FIA and CBI to interact with each
other in matters of terrorism including the Mumbai attacks,"
he said.

When pointed out that India had made it clear that
another 26/11 would derail the resumed dialogue process, the
Interior Minister said, "We have resolved together that both
agencies from India and Pakistan will be working together and
we will not allow any such incident in future."

Asked to comment on the slow pace of probe and trial
by Pakistan in the 26/11 case, Chidambaram said, "Nobody is
questioning anyone`s intention. It is the outcome that will
decide whether we have the right track. Let the outcomes be
visible. We have agreed that there are certain outcomes we are
looking forward to."

‘More people involved in 26/11’

Earlier, addressing a separate press conference,
Chidambaram pitched for prosecution of more people involved in
the Mumbai terror attacks.

"We know that seven people (are being) prosecuted in
the case. How far the prosecution has proceeded, it is for the
Pakistani government to tell. We think that more people were
behind the attacks and more people should be prosecuted," he
said.

"That point has been made to the Pakistani government
and as I said, I wish to remain positive on the outcome of the
meeting with Rehman Malik," the Home Minister said.

Malik told another press conference that Pakistan
"will provide every possible assistance in addition to what
you are talking about - voice samples".

India has sought the voice samples in a dossier given
to Pakistan last week and Chidambaram is understood to have
raised this issue at the meeting with Malik.

Indian investigators want the voice samples of the
handlers, who have been identified in the dossiers given by
it, to be matched with the recordings of the conversation the
Mumbai attackers had with them.

At the joint interaction, Malik said both the
countries want good relationship and friendship. "I think this
is a very good beginning and we will take it to the positive
side."

Chidambaram said both the sides agreed that the
situation needs to be addressed in a manner it deserves and "I
am confident the outcome will be good for both countries."

Asked to elaborate on India`s expectations on the
outcomes, he identified these as "rigorous investigation and
follow up of leads that are available" in the Mumbai attacks
case.

Also, all the masterminds and handlers behind 26/11
must be brought to justice, he added.

"These are the specific outcomes we expect in respect
of that (Mumbai) incident and the other is larger purpose of
making South Asia free from terror."

"We must ensure that terrorists have no free run,
either in Pakistan or India and both countries must work
together as well as other countries of South Asia to wipe out
the menace of terrorism," Chidambaram, who also met President
Asif Ali Zardari, said.

On Hafiz Saeed

When Malik was asked about release of JuD chief Hafiz
Saeed and whether Pakistan would file a fresh case against him
in the light of new information given by India, he said Saeed
has been set free by the Supreme Court and "we have to respect
that".

"The new evidence, the new dossier which has come to
us, we will be looking into the evidence, we will be looking
into the information and move accordingly. Let us have
positive note," the Pakistan Interior Minister said.

The new dossier handed over on Monday contains
additional information about Saeed`s role in the Mumbai
attacks on the basis of revelations made by Pakistani-American
LeT operative David Coleman, who has confessed to have carried
out recce of 26/11 targets.

Malik said Pakistan had demonstrated its clear resolve
to bring perpetrators to justice earlier. "After the
additional information, we are showing the same resolve," he
said.

"What is important is that most of the irritants (were
discussed) and the roadmap is there. We have to give clear
message to terrorists, that resolve is there," he underlined
and added "we decided to work together to give a very clear
message to terrorists that we are united."

To a question, he said "unless there is exchange of
hearts (between India and Pakistan), we can`t move forward."

When a reporter said Pakistan had termed "myopic"
India`s decision to suspend dialogue process after Mumbai
attacks and harping on arrest of JuD chief Hafiz Saeed,
Chidambaram said the Pakistani government had not used that word.

India considers Saeed, also the founder of Lashkar-e-
Toiba, as the mastermind of the Mumbai attacks that killed 166
people, including foreigners.

While New Delhi has been pushing for expeditious
action against Saeed, Pakistan has been maintaining that there
was enough evidence to prosecute him.

"But whatever was the process till 26/11 was
interrupted by 26/11 and recognising that the process was
interrupted is not myopic by any standard. That is the
reality," he said.

The Pakistani Interior Minister said he had sent the
Indian dossier to investigators and "whoever is found guilty
and if somebody is involved, I will definitely take action.
There is no question about it."

He insisted that "we are not there to create any
hurdle in the investigation. Rather we will assist and
cooperate with India. India has extended hand of friendship.
We accept it and we have also extended hand of friendship."

Chidambaram said: "Now we are trying to pick the
threads again. Foreign ministers are talking to each other,
the Prime Ministers have met."

Asked about his conversation with Malik, the Home
Minister refused to give details but said "I am sure you can
repose confidence in me that I have conveyed whatever was
necessary to convey to my counterpart and he has conveyed
whatever he felt necessary to convey to me."

On the deliberations of SAARC Interior Ministers
conference, he noted that all member countries mentioned
terrorism as the foremost concern and this was reflected in
the joint statement.

"It is a welcome development. Acknowledgement of the
problem is the first step towards its resolution."

Malik said he and Chidambaram discussed "whatever was
required" to be discussed.

"We will work with full responsibility. The idea is
to bring friendship between India and Pakistan. The idea is to
strike heavily against terrorists. I think the resolve between
India and Pakistan is to come down heavily on terrorists, from
wherever they come from," Malik said.

He said the two countries should take their talks
towards positive side.

"We should show unity, terrorists would like to create
quarrel between the two neighbours. We will cooperate and work
together," the Pakistan Interior Minister said.

Asked whether Pakistan would pursue leads given by
India on 26/11 attacks, Malik said his country would
investigate whatever new information is provided. "We will
investigate with seriousness."

Queried whether action would be taken against Hafiz
Saeed, he said he would not go into specifics.

"The fact is any terrorist or anybody, wherever there
is evidence, we will act and we will take action. And we will
keep India in confidence. What is important is interaction, we
will have good results of the interaction," he said.

PTI



First Published: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 00:00

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus