Pakistan expected to release 365 Indian fishermen on Aug 24
Vadodara: The Pakistan government is expected to release 365 Indian fishermen from its custody on August 24, a Gujarat government source said.
"We have received this information from the Union External Affairs Ministry of the government of India and we are waiting for official written communication in this regard," he said.
There are 437 fishermen from various parts of Gujarat, besides union territories of Diu and Daman, who are lodged in different jails located in Karachi and have completed their jail terms.
The Jamnagar native and independent Rajya Sabha MP Parimal Nathwani had written to Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif last week for the release of all fishermen from jail on humanitarian grounds.
Nathwani had also written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to take up the issue with his Pakistani counterpart.
Speaking to a news agency, Akhil Gujarat Machhimar Maha Federation vice president Veljibhai Masani who represents Gujarat fishermen said "I, alongwith Jatin Desai, a social activist had met senior Pakistani High Commission officials in Delhi on August 13 and requested them to release these fishermen from Pakistani custody".
It may be recalled that prominent human rights activist and Pakistan`s former federal minister for human rights Ansar Burney had taken up the issue with the Pakistan government.
He also urged the Indian government to reciprocate Pakistan`s gesture and release Pakistani prisoners who have already completed their jail terms in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH