Pakistan should learn from history: Congress
New Delhi: Incensed over the killing of two Indian soldiers, Congress on Thursday said India was not a "soft state" and asked Pakistan "to learn lesson from history", while reminding it of the Bangladesh war.
"It is wrong to say we are a soft state. History is witness that we have always taught a lesson to our enemies. We hope that Pakistan will take a lesson from this history," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters here.
He reminded Pakistan that "never before a lakh soldiers surrendered before any other nation" as had happened in the war for liberation of Bangladesh.
Alvi rejected BJP leader Sushma Swaraj`s contention that there is a "weak government" which may not be capable of taking tough decisions against Pakistan, saying the allegation by the Opposition party is "an attempt to deny history and glory of the nation".
Alvi said that BJP is in the habit of giving such reasons. "It is only the BJP that understands what is soft and what is wrong. Government has acted tough in the matter.
"We are hopeful that Pakistan will take lesson from history. We also hope that this should be the last time we are registering a protest," he said.
Alvi had yesterday said that India`s patience is running out over such incidents happening frequently and that Pakistan should not test its patience any more.
The Congress spokeperson also downplayed the reported statements by Shiv Sena to "bomb" Pakistan.
"People and parties all over the countries are agitated over the incident. They are expressing their anger in different ways. If he has said this, this is his view," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Is your Indian passport among those to be declared invalid from November 25, 2015?