Parliament adjourned after condoling death of Sis Ram Ola
New Delhi: Parliament was adjourned for the day on Monday after paying tributes to Union Minister Sis Ram Ola, who died on Sunday after prolonged illness.
As soon as Lok Sabha met, Speaker Meira Kumar made obituary references to Ola and former member Somnath Rath.
Kumar said Ola (86) was a member from Jhunjhunu and held various portfolios in the Union Council of Ministers.
Ola was also actively associated with several Parliamentary committees and was member of Rajasthan Assembly for eight terms from 1957 to 1990.
An agriculturist, he was conferred the Padma Shri in 1968.
Recalling Rath`s association with Parliament, Kumar said he was the member of the 8th Lok Sabha and was member of the panel of chairpersons.
A freedom fighter, Rath was Speaker of Odisha Assembly between 1980 and 1984.
He died on October 07.
In the Rajya Sabha, Chairman Hamid Ansari paid tributes to Ola. Members stood in silence before the two Houses were adjourned for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?