Parliament adjourned after condoling death of Sis Ram Ola
New Delhi: Parliament was adjourned for the day on Monday after paying tributes to Union Minister Sis Ram Ola, who died on Sunday after prolonged illness.
As soon as Lok Sabha met, Speaker Meira Kumar made obituary references to Ola and former member Somnath Rath.
Kumar said Ola (86) was a member from Jhunjhunu and held various portfolios in the Union Council of Ministers.
Ola was also actively associated with several Parliamentary committees and was member of Rajasthan Assembly for eight terms from 1957 to 1990.
An agriculturist, he was conferred the Padma Shri in 1968.
Recalling Rath`s association with Parliament, Kumar said he was the member of the 8th Lok Sabha and was member of the panel of chairpersons.
A freedom fighter, Rath was Speaker of Odisha Assembly between 1980 and 1984.
He died on October 07.
In the Rajya Sabha, Chairman Hamid Ansari paid tributes to Ola. Members stood in silence before the two Houses were adjourned for the day.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan