Parliament adjourned after condoling death of Sis Ram Ola
New Delhi: Parliament was adjourned for the day on Monday after paying tributes to Union Minister Sis Ram Ola, who died on Sunday after prolonged illness.
As soon as Lok Sabha met, Speaker Meira Kumar made obituary references to Ola and former member Somnath Rath.
Kumar said Ola (86) was a member from Jhunjhunu and held various portfolios in the Union Council of Ministers.
Ola was also actively associated with several Parliamentary committees and was member of Rajasthan Assembly for eight terms from 1957 to 1990.
An agriculturist, he was conferred the Padma Shri in 1968.
Recalling Rath`s association with Parliament, Kumar said he was the member of the 8th Lok Sabha and was member of the panel of chairpersons.
A freedom fighter, Rath was Speaker of Odisha Assembly between 1980 and 1984.
He died on October 07.
In the Rajya Sabha, Chairman Hamid Ansari paid tributes to Ola. Members stood in silence before the two Houses were adjourned for the day.
- Republican presidential race: Donald Trump hits out at Hillary Clinton and Ted Cruz ahead of Indiana primary
- Imran Khan demands ‘jail’ for Nawaz; reiterates Pak PM’s resignation over Panama Papers – Video inside
- Breathtaking dance steps performed by sibling goes viral – Watch video to believe it!
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels