Parliament adjourned over `quit PM` demand
New Delhi: Both Houses of Parliament were adjourned amid uproar for the seventh successive day on Thursday as the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) persisted with its demand for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation over coal block allocations.
When the two Houses met at noon after an earlier adjournment, the Lok Sabha was adjourned for the day after transacting some business amid the din. The Rajya Sabha also conducted some business before it was first adjourned till 2 pm and then for the day.
The Lok Sabha passed the Chemical Weapons Convention (Amendment) Bill, 2012 and AIIMS (Amendment) Bill 2012 before adjourning for the day.
BJP members were on their feet in both Houses demanding the Prime Minister`s resignation over the Comptroller and Auditor General`s (CAG) report on coal block allocation.
The BJP has been forcing adjournments of the house since last week over this demand. It has also sought cancellation of the coal block allotments on the basis of the CAG report and an inquiry by a special investigation team into the allocations.
The BJP and Congress have been going hammer and tongs at each other during this stalemate.
The efforts of presiding officers to break the logjam have not yielded results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town