Parliament adjourned till noon after uproar
New Delhi: Both Houses of Parliament were adjourned till noon on Tuesday as members raised various issues including the killing of a senior police official in Uttar Pradesh and plight of ethnic Tamils in Sri Lanka.
The Lok Sabha plunged into turmoil soon after Speaker Meira Kumar welcomed a Parliamentary delegation from Macedonia led by Trajko Veljanoski.
BSP and AIADMK members trooped into the Well raising the issue of killing of a Deputy Superintendent of Police in Uttar Pradesh and plight of ethnic Tamils in Sri Lanka respectively.
Some Congress members from Punjab were seen in the Well raising slogans against the Akali Dal government in the state over the incident of police beating up a woman and her aged father who were complaining of molestation.
Partap Singh Bajwa, Ravneet Singh and Santosh Chowdhary (all Cong) were in the Well waving copies of newspapers and raising slogans. Senior leader Girija Vyas was seen urging them to protest from the aisle.
Members of Left parties also raised slogans in the Well. Amid din, the Speaker adjourned the House till noon. It was trouble from the word go in Rajya Sabha where BSP, AIADMK and JU-U members refused to take their seats when the House was called to order and raised the UP law and order issue, plight of Tamils in Sri Lanka and MNS activists thrashing North Indians in Maharashtra.
Chairman Hamid Ansari asked them to take their seats as there was a reference from the Chair but members did not heed.
Shivanand Tiwari (JD-U) said he has given a notice of suspension of Question Hour to raise the issue of assault on North Indian students who had gone to Maharashtra to appear in an examination.
BSP demanded suspension of the SP government in UP and imposition of President`s rule, while AIADMK members tried to raise the issue of Sri Lankan Tamils.
Soon members rushed into the Well raising slogans, forcing Ansari to adjourn the House till noon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir