Parliament building needs renovation: CPWD
New Delhi: The 85-year old Indian Parliament building needs renovation as there are apprehensions of loosening of small ceiling tiles although safety of the structure is not in question, according to Central Public Works Department(CPWD).
"Every structure requires maintenance. Wherever problems are seen, we are correct them. Although we want that the building is given to us for a year or two so that we can see what we we can do to all these problems, but that is not possible," CPWD Director General S K Mittal told a press conference here.
Citing an example of the problems that needed to be fixed, another official said they had to put nets on the ceiling of Parliament to ensure that small tiles and pieces of the crust do not fall down.
When questioned further, Mittal said he had not made any proposal for long duration repairs in the Parliament building and added it was only his wishful thinking.
"What I am saying is that everything requires regular maintenance," he said and added that at present repair work in the Parliament building is carried out in parts in the period between two sessions.
The foundation stone for the Parliament building had been laid by the British in 1921 but it was inaugurated six years later on January 18, 1927.
Mittal spoke to reporters about his maintenance concerns for Parliament building when he was asked what was the reason behind the incident on May 11 this year when the Rajya Sabha had to be adjourned due to foul smell.
"With regards to the adjournment in Rajya Sabha, we found that a ventilation shaft had been sealed by security persons but the supply of fresh air was also blocked and hence the foul smell", Mittal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez