Parrot owner gets payout after RAF plane noise kills his bird
London: A parrot owner in the UK has been given 2,200 pounds in compensation after his exotic bird was killed by the noise from a low-flying Air Force plane.
The pet bird was terrified by the noise when the Hercules transport aircraft roared over its owner`s house.
Its death in Ayrshire followed a similar incident where a low-flying plane caused a parrot to fall off its perch and break both its legs. Military chiefs agreed to cover vet bills including two splints.
Both cases were among 200 separate claims for damage caused by low-flying military aircraft in the past three years. They left the Ministry of Defence with a 1.4 million pounds compensation bill, the Daily Mirror reported.
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "The MoD will authorise payment of reasonable ex-gratia compensation where a link can be established between MoD military low-flying activity and any subsequent loss or injury sustained by a claimant".
"We are very aware of the risks of military flying and the safety of those on the ground, as well as our air crew, is one of our highest priorities," the spokesman said.
Other settlements included 300 pounds to two therapy groups disturbed by fighter planes overhead and 900 pounds for damage to a child`s trampoline in Lancashire.
Much larger sums were paid out for personal injuries and damage to livestock, buildings and crops, the MoD said.
In the past year a helicopter injured cattle and broke a fence in Dumfries.
Chicken farmers have also been given payouts after they claimed aircraft noise affected their birds` ability to lay eggs.
The MoD said a plane was classed as flying low if it was at less than 2,000 feet above the ground or 500 feet for helicopters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!