Parts of North India still experience the chill
New Delhi: At the fag end of winter, parts of North India continued to experience cold conditions as dense fog enveloped various places in the region.
In the national capital, which woke up to a fog-filled morning disrupting flight operations, the minimum temperature settled at 10 degrees Celsius, one point below normal.
The day temperature was registered at 22.8 degrees Celsius which was two notches below normal.
The IGI Airport virtually came to a standstill as visibility at its three runways dropped to less than 100 metres. More than 50 domestic and international flights were affected due to fog.
In Himachal Pradesh, the day started with a clear sky but the mercury dropped after thick clouds emerged followed by drizzle accompanied by strong winds.
Keylong and Kalpa in tribal Lahaul and Spiti and Kinnaur districts recorded a low of minus 9.7 degree and minus 2.8 degree respectively while the key tourist resort of Manali shivered at minus 1.6 degree C.
Barring a few places, the minimum and maximum temperatures stayed two to three?degrees below freezing point while high altitude tribal areas groaned under severe cold conditions with mercury staying 20 to 34 degrees below freezing point.
Cold conditions prevailed in Punjab and Haryana as well with minimum temperature dropping a few notches below normal at several places.
Amritsar in the region was the coldest place with a low of 4 degrees Celsius, three degrees below normal. Chandigarh had a low of 10 degrees Celsius, one degree above normal.
Weather in Uttar Pradesh was mainly dry. Moderate fog occurred at a few places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?