Pay compensation to kin of dead Tihar prisoners, NHRC tells Delhi
New Delhi: The NHRC Thursday directed the Delhi government to compensate the kin of two men who died in judicial custody in the Tihar Jail here.
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has told the government to provide monetary compensation of Rs.1 lakh each to the next of kin of the deceased who were undergoing their trials.
"We have asked the chief secretary of Delhi to send compliance report within six weeks along with proof of payment and report on the action taken against the guilty officers," said the NHRC.
The two convicts, Prakash and Devi Ram, died on April 9 and December 11, 2010 respectively.
"We found that Prakash died while undergoing treatment in Rajan Babu T.B. Hospital. The magisterial enquiry report said that he died due to natural disease, however there was negligence on the part of the doctors of Tihar Jail in providing timely treatment to the deceased," the commission said.
"Disciplinary action must be initiated against the doctors," it added.
In the case of Devi Ram, the NHRC found that there was "unnecessary delay" on the part of the jail authorities in admitting him to Deen Dayal Upadhyaya hospital where he was declared dead by doctors when brought there.
"The under trial was having breathing problems and the official enquiry report said that delay of 50 minutes in taking him to a hospital proved fatal," said the NHRC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened