People won`t tolerate poor governance: President Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: With the Lok Sabha election less than 10 days away, President Pranab Mukherjee Sunday said people will no longer accept non-transparent and unresponsive administration.
Mukherjee stressed "urgency" in decision-making and transforming public administration into a dynamic and "result oriented entity".
"People are demanding better and more efficient administration. They would no longer tolerate non-transparent and unresponsive administration," he said after inaugurating the diamond jubilee celebrations of the Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA) here.
"The increasing expectation of the people can only be met by improving good governance practices for on it hinges the welfare of the people," he added.
"Though IIPA has done commendable work, there is much more that can be done to increase the importance as a catalyst for change in public administration.
"It (IIPA) should also make ethical governance the central focus in its training calendar," the president said.
Mukherjee said urgency in decision-making does not imply hasty decisions.
"It only implies that there should be no undue delay in decision-making and delivery of services.
"The absence of good governance has been identified as the root cause of many of the societal shortcomings," he said.
"It adversely affects their security, social and economic rights when ironically the governance structure is established for their welfare and collective good."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'