People won`t tolerate poor governance: President Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: With the Lok Sabha election less than 10 days away, President Pranab Mukherjee Sunday said people will no longer accept non-transparent and unresponsive administration.
Mukherjee stressed "urgency" in decision-making and transforming public administration into a dynamic and "result oriented entity".
"People are demanding better and more efficient administration. They would no longer tolerate non-transparent and unresponsive administration," he said after inaugurating the diamond jubilee celebrations of the Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA) here.
"The increasing expectation of the people can only be met by improving good governance practices for on it hinges the welfare of the people," he added.
"Though IIPA has done commendable work, there is much more that can be done to increase the importance as a catalyst for change in public administration.
"It (IIPA) should also make ethical governance the central focus in its training calendar," the president said.
Mukherjee said urgency in decision-making does not imply hasty decisions.
"It only implies that there should be no undue delay in decision-making and delivery of services.
"The absence of good governance has been identified as the root cause of many of the societal shortcomings," he said.
"It adversely affects their security, social and economic rights when ironically the governance structure is established for their welfare and collective good."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic