Petitions can’t be accepted in Sanskrit: HC
Allahabad: A writ petition drafted and
presented in Sanskrit cannot be adjudicated nor can arguments
be advanced in the language, the Allahabad High Court ruled
Passing the order dismissing a 26-year-old writ petition,
drafted in Sanskrit and filed along with a copy of its Hindi
translation, Justice Sabhajeet Yadav said "even no judgement,
order or decree can be passed by the courts in Sanskrit".
The writ petition was filed by one Virendra Shah Sodh in
When the matter came up for hearing today, the court
refused to entertain the petition on the ground that it was
drafted in Sanskrit and rejected the petitioner`s claim that
the writ itself was admitted by a court order delivered in the
However, the court said "the law, as it now stands,
clearly permits the use of Hindi in every proceeding of the
High Court including drafting of affidavits,
counter-affidavits and rejoinder, the appeals, revision,
review and writ petitions".
The court also said a High Court judge "can also deliver
his judgement or pass order or decree in Hindi if he so
chooses but he cannot be compelled to do so."
"In case, he passes an order or decree etc. in Hindi, the
only limitation still imposed upon him is that it must be
accompanied by a translation of the same in English under the
authority of the High Court," it said.
"But there is nothing to indicate that any such law
permits the use of Sanskrit in any proceedings of the High
Court", the judge remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India