PIL filed in SC for securing DG Vanzara’s ‘confession’
New Delhi: A PIL has been filed in the Supreme Court seeking its direction to CBI to take steps for securing suspended Gujarat police officer DG Vanzara`s "confession" after his allegation against the Narendra Modi government.
The petition, filed by two advocates, alleged the content of the letter written by the IPS officer "clearly goes on to show in great detail the manner in which an encounter is carried out by state government".
"Direct CBI to take steps for securing the confession of Vanzara, who is one of the prime accused in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh and Tulshiram Prajapati encounter cases, before a judicial officer as per the provisions of CrPC and Indian Evidence Act so that the confession is legally admissible and cannot be retracted in judicial proceedings," the petition said.
The petitioner Sateesh Galla and S Uday Kumar contended the statement of Vanzara be recorded as it would have serious consequences for the cases.
Vanzara (59), a Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) rank officer, was suspended and sent behind the the bars in connection with a string of alleged fake encounter cases. He resigned from the service on September one, accusing the Modi government of having failed to protect the jailed police officers who fought against "Pakistan-inspired terrorism".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price