Place developments on mercy plea on website: CIC to Prez secy
New Delhi: The CIC has asked the President`s office to place on its website periodic developments taking place on the mercy petitions pending with it.
Considering the "anxiety" of the petitioners, whose clemency pleas are pending before the Secretariat, the transparency panel directed the Central Public Information Officer to place the order before the competent authority to make appropriate provisions for disclosing, possibly in the website, the progress made in the case of each mercy petition.
Hearing the plea of Odisha-based Siva Sankar Chaini, Chief Information Commissioner Satyananda Mishra said, "It is likely that there is no single record containing the reason for any mercy petition pending for a period longer that what is reasonable.
"However, the anxiety of the citizens can also be understood when any particular mercy petition keeps pending for an unreasonably long period."
Mishra said it would be necessary to publish, from time to time, the progress in the case of mercy petitions.
"For the sake of transparency, it would be necessary to publish, from time to time, the progress in the case of mercy petitions explaining, as far as possible, the reasons for the time taken," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report