Plan panel supports functional autonomy to UIDAI
New Delhi: The Plan panel has supported full
functional autonomy for the Unique Identification Development
Authority (UIDAI), mandated to issue the national identity
cards, indicating end of tug-of-war between the two.
"I am in favour of delegating powers to UIDAI. We have to
check with the Finance Ministry whether this is possible. I am
hoping this is possible," Planning Commission Deputy Chairman
Montek Singh Ahluwalia told reporters here.
"The logic of (creating) UIDAI was that it is an attached
office (to the Plan panel), but we want to give it the full
autonomy with responsibility," he said.
He further said, "We are trying to sort this out so that
we can ensure, whatever task is assigned to them, they are
able to perform with adequate due diligence within the
"I am meeting Expenditure Secretary and I think we would
work out an arrangement which is satisfactory," he added.
A controversy was triggered after Plan panel Member-
Secretary Sudha Pillai had reportedly expressed reservations
over the Nandan Nilekani- headed UIDAI`s functioning. In a
letter to the Finance Ministry, she had also reportedly
suggested a relook into its structure.
Pillai had reportedly said that the Authority has not got
any of its financial proposal examined by the Plan panel`s
Secretary or Financial Adviser.
The reports said the Commission suggested to the Finance
Ministry to depute a full time financial advisor in the
In response to this, Nilekani had last month asserted
that the Authority is working under set government framework
and the powers delegated by the Prime Minister.
"We are working within the powers granted to us. If
somebody feels that power should be different, then that is a
different matter," Nilekani had said.
On transparency issue, Nilekani had said: "We follow
every government process and procurement procedures to the
key. We set the highest standards of transparency and
integrity in our operations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?