Plan panel supports functional autonomy to UIDAI
New Delhi: The Plan panel has supported full
functional autonomy for the Unique Identification Development
Authority (UIDAI), mandated to issue the national identity
cards, indicating end of tug-of-war between the two.
"I am in favour of delegating powers to UIDAI. We have to
check with the Finance Ministry whether this is possible. I am
hoping this is possible," Planning Commission Deputy Chairman
Montek Singh Ahluwalia told reporters here.
"The logic of (creating) UIDAI was that it is an attached
office (to the Plan panel), but we want to give it the full
autonomy with responsibility," he said.
He further said, "We are trying to sort this out so that
we can ensure, whatever task is assigned to them, they are
able to perform with adequate due diligence within the
"I am meeting Expenditure Secretary and I think we would
work out an arrangement which is satisfactory," he added.
A controversy was triggered after Plan panel Member-
Secretary Sudha Pillai had reportedly expressed reservations
over the Nandan Nilekani- headed UIDAI`s functioning. In a
letter to the Finance Ministry, she had also reportedly
suggested a relook into its structure.
Pillai had reportedly said that the Authority has not got
any of its financial proposal examined by the Plan panel`s
Secretary or Financial Adviser.
The reports said the Commission suggested to the Finance
Ministry to depute a full time financial advisor in the
In response to this, Nilekani had last month asserted
that the Authority is working under set government framework
and the powers delegated by the Prime Minister.
"We are working within the powers granted to us. If
somebody feels that power should be different, then that is a
different matter," Nilekani had said.
On transparency issue, Nilekani had said: "We follow
every government process and procurement procedures to the
key. We set the highest standards of transparency and
integrity in our operations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO