Plan panel supports functional autonomy to UIDAI
New Delhi: The Plan panel has supported full
functional autonomy for the Unique Identification Development
Authority (UIDAI), mandated to issue the national identity
cards, indicating end of tug-of-war between the two.
"I am in favour of delegating powers to UIDAI. We have to
check with the Finance Ministry whether this is possible. I am
hoping this is possible," Planning Commission Deputy Chairman
Montek Singh Ahluwalia told reporters here.
"The logic of (creating) UIDAI was that it is an attached
office (to the Plan panel), but we want to give it the full
autonomy with responsibility," he said.
He further said, "We are trying to sort this out so that
we can ensure, whatever task is assigned to them, they are
able to perform with adequate due diligence within the
"I am meeting Expenditure Secretary and I think we would
work out an arrangement which is satisfactory," he added.
A controversy was triggered after Plan panel Member-
Secretary Sudha Pillai had reportedly expressed reservations
over the Nandan Nilekani- headed UIDAI`s functioning. In a
letter to the Finance Ministry, she had also reportedly
suggested a relook into its structure.
Pillai had reportedly said that the Authority has not got
any of its financial proposal examined by the Plan panel`s
Secretary or Financial Adviser.
The reports said the Commission suggested to the Finance
Ministry to depute a full time financial advisor in the
In response to this, Nilekani had last month asserted
that the Authority is working under set government framework
and the powers delegated by the Prime Minister.
"We are working within the powers granted to us. If
somebody feels that power should be different, then that is a
different matter," Nilekani had said.
On transparency issue, Nilekani had said: "We follow
every government process and procurement procedures to the
key. We set the highest standards of transparency and
integrity in our operations."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks