PM assures severe action on CWG guilty
PM said action would be taken against guilty after reviewing controversy-hit CWG preparations.
New Delhi: India Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh on Saturday said that “severe action would be taken against the guilty,” after a crucial meeting to review the controversy-hit Commonwealth Games preparations.
Taking stock of the situation, the prime minister also directed all the ministries concerned to conduct thorough investigations into all complaints received with regard to procedural and other irregularities in CWG preparations.
He also added that a Committee of Secretaries, headed by Cabinet Secretary, would be formed to review implementation of CWG projects. The panel would have the status of Empowered Committee.
Showing his seriousness over the CWG mess that has been taken up in the highest houses, the prime minister has made it clear that he would visit select venues of Commonwealth Games in the last week of August.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Sports Minister MS Gill were at the PM’s residence for the meeting. Lieutenant Governor Tejendra Khanna and Urban Development Minister Jaipal Reddy were also present.
Cabinet Sectary KM Chandrashekhara briefed the PM on the entire scenario of the preparation of Delhi Games.
The meeting assumes significance in view of questions being raised over the state of preparedness and allegations of corruption surrounding it.
Organising Committee Chairman Suresh Kalmadi is in the eye of a storm because of the allegations.
The Prime Minister`s action came a day after the Congress top brass, including party chief Sonia Gandhi, deliberated on the matter at the meeting of the party`s Core Group.