PM Manmohan Singh conferred Honorary Doctorate by Russian institute
Moscow: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was on Monday conferred an Honorary Doctorate by the prestigious Moscow State Institute of International Relations.
Accepting the rare honour at a special ceremony here, Singh said he considered it a matter of "great honour" that the Institute decided to confer the doctorate on him.
"I am conscious of the rich history of this great institution and its enormous contribution to Russian and international diplomacy.
Your gesture today is yet another indication of the abiding affection of the? Russian people for India and the strength of relations between our two countries, which I have experienced personally in many decades of public life," he said.
Singh in his acceptance speech pointed out that relations between India and Russia were built on abiding links of commerce and culture, which go back many centuries.
During his speech he invoked Mahatma Gandhi and Leo Tolstoy, saying that one only has to glance at the rich correspondence between the two to get a sense of how formative the thinking of Tolstoy was for Gandhi`s practice of non-violence.
"In the 20th century, which was an era of momentous change for both our countries, our political leaders, intellectuals and artists engaged with each other and influenced each other`s thoughts and ideas," Singh said.
Moscow State Institute of International Relations is the diplomatic school of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia. Founded in 1944, it is the oldest and the most renowned school in Russia for preparing specialists in international relations and diplomacy.
The Prime Minister arrived here yesterday to participate in the 14th annual summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city