PM Manmohan Singh conferred Honorary Doctorate by Russian institute
Moscow: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was on Monday conferred an Honorary Doctorate by the prestigious Moscow State Institute of International Relations.
Accepting the rare honour at a special ceremony here, Singh said he considered it a matter of "great honour" that the Institute decided to confer the doctorate on him.
"I am conscious of the rich history of this great institution and its enormous contribution to Russian and international diplomacy.
Your gesture today is yet another indication of the abiding affection of the? Russian people for India and the strength of relations between our two countries, which I have experienced personally in many decades of public life," he said.
Singh in his acceptance speech pointed out that relations between India and Russia were built on abiding links of commerce and culture, which go back many centuries.
During his speech he invoked Mahatma Gandhi and Leo Tolstoy, saying that one only has to glance at the rich correspondence between the two to get a sense of how formative the thinking of Tolstoy was for Gandhi`s practice of non-violence.
"In the 20th century, which was an era of momentous change for both our countries, our political leaders, intellectuals and artists engaged with each other and influenced each other`s thoughts and ideas," Singh said.
Moscow State Institute of International Relations is the diplomatic school of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia. Founded in 1944, it is the oldest and the most renowned school in Russia for preparing specialists in international relations and diplomacy.
The Prime Minister arrived here yesterday to participate in the 14th annual summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional