PM pledges support to new Maldivian President
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has written to new Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed assuring him of India`s continued support after the dramatic regime change in the archipelago.
India was committed to working with the Maldives for the "security and prosperity" of both the countries, Manmohan Singh said in his felicitation letter to Waheed.
"I take this opportunity to extend my warm felicitations to you on your assumption of office as president of the Maldives," Manmohan Singh wrote in the letter, the text of which was released to the media Wednesday.
He said India as a close and friendly neighbour would continue to support the Maldivian people`s efforts to build a "stable, peaceful and prosperous country".
Stating that the countries shared a common destiny with common security interests, the prime minister said: "India is committed to working with you and the government in Maldives to further enhance our close, bilateral cooperation to mutual benefit and for the continued security, progress and prosperity of our two countries."
Maldives is strategically located along the major sea lanes in Indian Ocean. India and Maldives share close ties.
In 1988, India had responded to a call by then president Maumoon Abdul Gayoom to help quell an externally-induced coup attempt by rebels from Sri Lanka.
Waheed, vice president of Maldives, was sworn in as president of the Indian Ocean archipelago Tuesday afternoon after Mohammed Nasheed was compelled to resign following widespread protests against him.
Nasheed`s was the island`s first democratically elected government.
Waheed has pledged to form a national unity government until polls in 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself