PM postpones visit to Kashmir for opening railway line
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has
postponed by over a week his planned visit to Kashmir, during
which he will inaugurate a 12-km railway line connecting
Anantnag and Qazigund that will mark the completion of the
rail project in the valley.
The Prime Minister was scheduled to visit the state on
October 18 but it had to be postponed because of the
non-availability of Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee, official
Singh, who is expected to tour the state for two days, is
now likely to be there on October 27. During his visit, he is
expected to review the railway project connecting the Kashmir
valley with Jammu region, the sources said.
He may also review the Dal project besides progress in
other developmental schemes under the Prime Minister`s
The Prime Minister had inaugurated the 66-km long
section from Anantnag to Mazhom last year. Congress President
Sonia Gandhi had earlier this year inaugurated the 35-km-long
Mazhom-Baramulla line, part of the 119-Km Qazigund-Baramulla
An amount of Rs 2,551 crore has been incurred on the
Qazigund-Baramulla railway link till end of December last
Singh, who was also present at the inauguration early
this year, had said the line was bound to catalyse economic
growth in the Kashmir valley with the availability of cheaper
and more reliable transport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'