PM Sharif can`t go `fast` on improving ties with India: Imran Khan
New Delhi: Cricketer-turned politician Imran Khan on Saturday said even though Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will try to improve ties with India, he would not be able to go "fast" on the issue due to pressure from fanatical elements.
In an interactive session, he said the future of India and Pakistan should be like that of the European Union, with people being allowed to move freely. He expressed hope that when his party comes to power, people would be allowed to drive down from Delhi to Lahore without any barriers.
"You will find that even though our current Prime Minister will try but he would not be able to go fast towards building relations with India because of the pressure from this small fanatical group," he said.
Khan observed that the level of fanaticism in Pakistan is at its peak at the moment but "in the next six months, my optimism is that after the exit of the US from Afghanistan, this frenzy of fanaticism in Pakistan will start subsiding".
"Once that happens, then we can move towards concentrating on normalising our relations. Right now, due to the pressure of the extreme right...," he said.
The interactive session was organised by the All India Management Association. The head of the Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaaf party said in order to bring stability to Afghanistan after the US exit from there in 2014, India and Pakistan will have to cooperate and not interfere in the functioning of the government in Kabul.
"If India and Pakistan cooperate after 2014 and decide not to interfere with the government there, it will go a long way in ensuring stability there. If we start proxy war there, I hate to think what will happen there," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!