PM, Sonia pay last respects to Sathya Sai Baba
Puttaparthi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi joined millions of devotes in mourning the death of spiritual leader Sathya Sai Baba as they paid their last respects on Tuesday.
The two leaders arrived here at 4.30 pm by a special aircraft and directly headed to the Sai Kulwant Hall, where Sathya Sai’s body has kept for ‘darshan’. The Prime Minister and Sonia Gandhi sat by the side of Baba’s casket and spent some solemn moments.
Expressing "deep and profound sadness" over Baba`s death, the Prime Minister had termed the spiritual leader as someone who inspired millions to lead a moral and meaningful life even as they followed the religion of their choice.
"Sri Sathya Saibaba as a preacher of the highest human values was an iconic figure for over five decades. He endeared himself to the people through various institutions, with headquarters at Prashanthi Nilayam, that promoted egalitarian values, education and public health," Singh said.
still waiting for their chance; the timings have been extended to 12 am from the earlier 6 pm.
The Sathya Sai Central Trust has made all arrangements for his burial at the Sai Kulwant Hall tomorrow at 9 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29