‘PM statement may affect Naga peace process’
Kohima: The NSCN(I-M) on Wednesday said the
recent statement of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the
territorial integrity of Manipur was `unfortunate` and it
might affect the on-going Naga peace process.
During his visit to Imphal with UPA chairperson Sonia
Gandhi on December 3, Singh had said "the central government
is committed to the territorial integrity of Manipur".
Minister had made this statement amidst media reports that the
Centre was planning a `supra state` for Nagas in the
Northeast. He had categorically said there was no plan for a
`supra state` for Nagas in the Northeast.
The prime minister`s statement was a "cause for
concern, as it may adversely affect the on-going Indo-Naga
peace process", an NSCN(IM) release said.
The `shocked` Nagas were viewing this statement as "a
u-turn to the commitment of seeking the Indo-Naga solution
outside the box and to walk the extra mile to seek an
Honourable political solution in the shortest possible time",
the NSCN(I-M) said.
At the invitation of the Government of India, the
NSCN(I-M) said, the two sides have been talking across the
table for the last 14 years to seek a solution through
political means and gave its commitment for a negotiated
The release, issued by information and publicity wing
of the organization, said "Historically, the Nagas have their
distinct culture and territory under the administrative
jurisdiction of the respective chiefs or kings of the villages
from time immemorial" and they were not a part of Manipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical