‘PM statement may affect Naga peace process’
Kohima: The NSCN(I-M) on Wednesday said the
recent statement of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the
territorial integrity of Manipur was `unfortunate` and it
might affect the on-going Naga peace process.
During his visit to Imphal with UPA chairperson Sonia
Gandhi on December 3, Singh had said "the central government
is committed to the territorial integrity of Manipur".
Minister had made this statement amidst media reports that the
Centre was planning a `supra state` for Nagas in the
Northeast. He had categorically said there was no plan for a
`supra state` for Nagas in the Northeast.
The prime minister`s statement was a "cause for
concern, as it may adversely affect the on-going Indo-Naga
peace process", an NSCN(IM) release said.
The `shocked` Nagas were viewing this statement as "a
u-turn to the commitment of seeking the Indo-Naga solution
outside the box and to walk the extra mile to seek an
Honourable political solution in the shortest possible time",
the NSCN(I-M) said.
At the invitation of the Government of India, the
NSCN(I-M) said, the two sides have been talking across the
table for the last 14 years to seek a solution through
political means and gave its commitment for a negotiated
The release, issued by information and publicity wing
of the organization, said "Historically, the Nagas have their
distinct culture and territory under the administrative
jurisdiction of the respective chiefs or kings of the villages
from time immemorial" and they were not a part of Manipur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming