PM to discuss cabinet reshuffle with Sonia today?
New Delhi: A day after the Trinamool Congress went ahead and withdrew support to the United Progressive Alliance (UPA), Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will likely meet Congress president Sonia Gandhi here on Saturday to discuss a cabinet reshuffle.
Miffed by the Congress-led UPA government`s decisions over hike in diesel price and foreign investment in multi-brand retail, the Trinamool on Friday withdrew support to the ruling coalition at the centre.
According to a news channel, Sonia Gandhi, who was scheduled to visit Uttarakhand today, has cancelled her trip due to political situation in New Delhi.
The news channel further quoted sources as saying that the cabinet reshuffle is on the cards to fill vacancies in the cabinet and reallocate work among ministers.
There will reportedly be a change in one of the top four ministries - Home, Finance, Defence and External Affairs.
Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi will give final shape to the cabinet reshuffle after talking to allies of United Progressive Alliance government.
There is no indication from the Congress so far that party general secretary Rahul Gandhi will join the government. Congress sources said there was likelihood of his assuming a bigger role in the party.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27