PM to discuss cabinet reshuffle with Sonia today?
New Delhi: A day after the Trinamool Congress went ahead and withdrew support to the United Progressive Alliance (UPA), Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will likely meet Congress president Sonia Gandhi here on Saturday to discuss a cabinet reshuffle.
Miffed by the Congress-led UPA government`s decisions over hike in diesel price and foreign investment in multi-brand retail, the Trinamool on Friday withdrew support to the ruling coalition at the centre.
According to a news channel, Sonia Gandhi, who was scheduled to visit Uttarakhand today, has cancelled her trip due to political situation in New Delhi.
The news channel further quoted sources as saying that the cabinet reshuffle is on the cards to fill vacancies in the cabinet and reallocate work among ministers.
There will reportedly be a change in one of the top four ministries - Home, Finance, Defence and External Affairs.
Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi will give final shape to the cabinet reshuffle after talking to allies of United Progressive Alliance government.
There is no indication from the Congress so far that party general secretary Rahul Gandhi will join the government. Congress sources said there was likelihood of his assuming a bigger role in the party.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read