PM to discuss Ordinance on convicted lawmakers with President tomorrow
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will meet President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday ahead of the Cabinet meeting when the controversial Ordinance on convicted lawmakers is expected to be withdrawn.
The Union Cabinet is meeting tomorrow to take a call on withdrawal of the Ordinance, whose fate appears to have already been sealed after Rahul Gandhi`s strong denunciation of the measure.
The Ordinance is currently before the President who is leaving on a foreign tour on October tomorrow. Mukherjee, who is believed to have reservations on it, had met senior government ministers after a BJP delegation urged him not to give his assent, triggering speculation that he may return the Ordinance to the Government.
To avoid this embarrassment, the Prime Minister is expected to explain Government`s plans to drop the measure, sources said.
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi has forced the Congress to have a relook at the Ordinance after he called it a "complete nonsense" and said that it should be "torn up and thrown away."
Singh, who is returning from the US tonight, will also brief the President about his talks with President Barack Obama in Washington and Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in New York as also his address to the UN General Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble