PM watches Aamir Khan`s `Peepli Live`
New Delhi: Taking a break from his busy
schedule, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today watched Aamir
Khan`s Bollywood film `Peepli Live`, a scathing satire on
Singh watched the film along with his wife Gursharan
Kaur. Besides Khan, the film` producer and Bollywood star,
Director Anusha Rizvi and a couple of senior cast members were
present at the special screening.
Khan had arranged a similar screening of the film
for BJP leaders including L K Advani.
The film, starring a clutch of theatre actors with a
debutante director in Rizvi, deals with the growing divide
between rural and urban India through the story of Natha, a
He is talked into committing suicide by his brother
Budhia, who hopes that their family will benefit since
government has relief packages for the families of farmers,
who kill themselves.
Their drunken conversation is heard by a local
journalist, who writes a story in his newspaper. Soon the TRP
hungry news channels lap up the story. Natha`s impending death
becomes a national obsession.
Incidentally, the Prime Minister has been instrumental
in ensuring a financial package for farmers in Vidarbha in
Maharashtra which witnessed a spate of suicides.
Such a package was also given to farmers in distress
in some other states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand