Police make first arrest in Ruchika case
Pune: The Haryana Police have made the first arrest in the Ruchika Girhotra molestation case, nabbing Gajendra Singh from Pune.
Gajendra is the same man on whose testimony Ruchika’s brother Ashu Girhotra was booked in six auto theft cases. Gajandra had testified against Ashu in the court, saying the latter was his accomplice in car theft cases.
The police will now bring Gajendra to Panchkula in Haryana and interrogate him to find out why he falsely implicated Ashu in car theft cases.
According to police, Gajendra, who hails from Bihar, had been staying in Accord Hills on Baner Road in Pune for the last few years. He used to run a dhaba there.
Gajendra was arrested at Baner Road around 11.30 pm on Friday. He was yesterday produced before Judicial Magistrate AS Lanjewar at a Pune court to seek his transit remand.
Gajendra, who was previously arrested in 1994 for car thefts, had named Ashu and his friend Sandeep as his accomplices. The court had however cleared the two of all charges and convicted Gajendra for the thefts. He later escaped and was named a proclaimed offender.
Ashu’s father Subash Girhotra had recently accused the police of letting Gajendra abscond as they were afraid he would spill the beans and disclose how Ashu was falsely implicated in car theft cases.
The arrest came as the CBI announced it would soon take up investigation of the three FIRs registered by the Haryana Police against former state DGP SPS Rathore, convicted for molesting teenager Ruchika in 1990.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest