Prahaar missile test-fired successfully
Chandipur-on-sea: India Thursday successfully conducted the first test-fire of its indigenously
developed short-range, quick reaction, tactical missile `Prahar` from the Integrated Test Range off Orissa coast.
"The test launch was fully successful as the surface-to-surface, sleek missile mounted on a road mobile launcher, roared into an overcast sky, seconds within it`s blast off," defence sources said.
The sophisticated missile was test fired from ITR`s launch pad-3 at about 8:15 am leaving behind its trajectory in?an orange and white ribbon of smoke, they said.
"The missile witnessed a smooth vertical take-off from the launch pad and vital parameters will be analysed after mission data is retrieved," said a Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) scientist soon after the missile was test-fired.
The 150 km range `Prahar` is a single stage missile and is fuelled by solid propellants.
The uniqueness of the missile system is that "in one salvo, six missiles can be fired with multiple targets," said a scientist associated with this project.
This short range missile would be an `excellent weapon` which would fill the gap between unguided?multi-barrel rocket system `Pinaka` with 40 km range and guided missiles
like `Prithvi`, which can strike at 250 km to 350 km range.
In view of the scheduled missile test today, the Balasore district administration had as a precautionary measure temporarily evacuated 3,220 persons residing within two km radius of the launch pad-3 in to nearby shelter
Fishermen were also warned not to venture into the sea during the missile test time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly