Pranab Mukherjee is a sheet anchor: M K Narayanan
Kolkata: Praising Union Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee for playing the role of a sheet anchor in
dealing with difficult situations, the West Bengal Governor
on Sunday said without him cabinet system might well be in
"Mukherjee is not merely an important member of the
Union Cabinet but without him cabinet system might well be in
jeopardy," Governor M K Narayanan said while releasing a
coffee-table book on him at a function at Raj Bhavan here.
"Without him (Pranab Mukherjee) the soft spoken Prime
Minister (Manmohan Singh) might find it difficult to manage a
pricky situation," the Governor said.
"He is the shining star in our firmament and I was
privileged to be associated with some of these triumphs,
notably the Indo-US civil nuclear initiative -- perhaps one of
the important foreign policy triumphs," Narayanan, a former
National Security Advisor, said.
Speaking about the book, `Pranab Mukherjee: The All
Season Man`, educationist Amal Mukhopadhyya said "Mukherjee is
professional political scientist and an impartial observer".
"Among the national figures at the moment, Mukherjee
stood as a class by himself," Mukhopadhyya, who was former
principal of the Presidency College Kolkata, said.
The book has been written by a political activist and a
lawyer and is a compilation of memoirs, first person
accounts and thoughts by eminent personalities from different
walks of life at home and abroad.
It has been edited by Sukhendu Sekhar Ray, a state
Congress leader and a close associate of Mukherjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- LeJ terrorists involved in Lanka cricket team attack killed
- Five held for 'slaughtering' three cows in Maharashtra
- Delhi LG cancelled AAP govt order on compensation by discoms: Arvind Kejriwal
- Bihar flood toll reaches 156, twins born on boat
- Hinduism all about love, faith and intimacy with all: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat