Pranab `qualified` to be President: Ajit Singh
New Delhi: RLD chief and Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh on Wednesday described Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee as a "qualified" candidate for the post of President but said his views on others were equally positive.
"The Finance Minister is qualified for President. My views are positive on him, but my views are positive on others as well", Singh said after a meeting with Home Minister P Chidambaram.
He was responding to a question about the election to the highest Constitutional post and the possibility of Mukherjee`s candidature for it.
Singh said Congress chief Sonia Gandhi would take a call on the candidate of Presidential poll in consultations with UPA allies.
The Civil Aviation Minister had yesterday met Gandhi to discuss political issues, including the upcoming Presidential elections.
The RLD chief also said he had discussed with the Home Minister the forthcoming Presidential election and on providing OBC status to the Jat community for getting jobs in Central government.
The Civil Aviation Minister said he would soon meet West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to discuss on FDI in aviation.
"We will talk to Mamata and we will talk to DMK. We have already talked to NCP", Singh told reporters here.
Singh said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has convened a meeting on infrastructure later in the day.
"We will discuss a lot of issues, including on road transport, coal and civil aviation ministries which are pending and need to be cleared, besides how to stimulate economy", he said.
Singh said the whole world was facing economic problems -- there was problem in the European Union and many people have lost jobs in the United States in the recent months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step