Pranab `qualified` to be President: Ajit Singh
New Delhi: RLD chief and Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh on Wednesday described Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee as a "qualified" candidate for the post of President but said his views on others were equally positive.
"The Finance Minister is qualified for President. My views are positive on him, but my views are positive on others as well", Singh said after a meeting with Home Minister P Chidambaram.
He was responding to a question about the election to the highest Constitutional post and the possibility of Mukherjee`s candidature for it.
Singh said Congress chief Sonia Gandhi would take a call on the candidate of Presidential poll in consultations with UPA allies.
The Civil Aviation Minister had yesterday met Gandhi to discuss political issues, including the upcoming Presidential elections.
The RLD chief also said he had discussed with the Home Minister the forthcoming Presidential election and on providing OBC status to the Jat community for getting jobs in Central government.
The Civil Aviation Minister said he would soon meet West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to discuss on FDI in aviation.
"We will talk to Mamata and we will talk to DMK. We have already talked to NCP", Singh told reporters here.
Singh said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has convened a meeting on infrastructure later in the day.
"We will discuss a lot of issues, including on road transport, coal and civil aviation ministries which are pending and need to be cleared, besides how to stimulate economy", he said.
Singh said the whole world was facing economic problems -- there was problem in the European Union and many people have lost jobs in the United States in the recent months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire