President cancels Thomas`s appointment as CVC
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil Monday cancelled the appointment of PJThomas as chief vigilance commissioner (CVC) following the Supreme Court declaring the appointment void.
"The president has cancelled the warrant of appointment of Thomas," a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesman said.
Six months after he was appointed to the post, the Supreme Court March 3 struck down Thomas` appointment as CVC for his alleged involvement in a corruption case in Kerala in the 1990s.
The court said the appointment made by the high-powered committee, consisting of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Leader of Opposition in the Sushma Swaraj does not exist in law. Swaraj had dissented with Thomas` selection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch