President cancels Thomas`s appointment as CVC
New Delhi: President Pratibha Patil Monday cancelled the appointment of PJThomas as chief vigilance commissioner (CVC) following the Supreme Court declaring the appointment void.
"The president has cancelled the warrant of appointment of Thomas," a Rashtrapati Bhavan spokesman said.
Six months after he was appointed to the post, the Supreme Court March 3 struck down Thomas` appointment as CVC for his alleged involvement in a corruption case in Kerala in the 1990s.
The court said the appointment made by the high-powered committee, consisting of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Leader of Opposition in the Sushma Swaraj does not exist in law. Swaraj had dissented with Thomas` selection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Iran announces May 19 presidential election
- Sahara group gets $1.3 billion offer from new suitor for its 3 overseas hotels
- Watch: Benedict Cumberbatch's 'Sherlock: Series 4' teaser will leave you on the edge!
- Know why some male frogs prefer having sex on land
- Monsoon to push GDP growth to over 8% this fiscal: Panagariya