President honours five armoured regiments
Patiala: Appreciating their exemplary work in ensuring the country`s security, President Pratibha Patil on Sunday honoured five armoured regiments by presenting them the Standards.
Patil, also the Supreme Commander of the armed forces, presented the colours to 5 Armoured Regiment, 70 Armoured Regiment, 73 Armoured Regiment, 74 Armoured Regiment and 6 Lancers at a gala ceremony in the military area here.
"Your performance has always been exemplary and I compliment you for the same. The personnel, both past and present, have put in untiring efforts in pursuit of excellence and have shown selfless devotion, professionalism and bravery
in the face of adversity.
"The nation is proud of you and as a token of appreciation for your dedication, I take pride in presenting you with the Standards," Patil said.
It was a unique sight as 132 tanks rolled out one after the other during the ceremony and presented the `Rashtriya salute` to the President.
"I also take this opportunity to emphasise that this honour bestowed upon your regiments carries with it additional responsibilities as well. The sacrifices and professionalism now expected of you are more than even before and I have no
doubt in my mind that you will strive with dedication to keep the Standards flying high," the President said.
Lauding the troops, she said, "The Regiments present here represent a long tradition of rendering service to the country with determination, valour and courage since their raising.
"The history of your regiments spanning over 44 years is replete with examples of heroism, professionalism and devotion to duty in the highest traditions of the Indian Army. The services of your regiments have always been held in high
The presentation of standards is in recognition of a unit`s contribution to the security of the country and its achievements in battle over the years.
The President, escorted by the Colonel of the Regiments and other senior officials, gave the Standards to the respective officers of the regiments amid synchronised beating of the drums and cheering from the crowds which included Army personnel and their family members.
Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil and Punjab Technical Education Minister Surjit Kumar Jiani among other senior officials were present during the function.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate