President Patil in South Korea on three-day visit
Seoul: President Pratibha Patil arrived
here on Sunday on a three-day visit during which she will hold
crucial talks on matters of mutual interest, including nuclear commerce, defence and trade, aimed at strengthening bilateral
ties with South Korea.
Patil was given a red-carpet welcome at the Air Base
here amid synchronised beating of drums by a contingent of
about 100 young men and women dressed in colourful traditional
attire and defence uniforms.
The group also played the Indian national anthem to
welcome the President and her entourage and fired the
ceremonial canon fire.
The President, who is on a week-long tour of Korea and
Mongolia will meet her counterparts in both the nations.
On the first leg of her visit here, she was received
by Korean Second Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Min Dong-Seok, among other senior officials.
Patil is accompanied by her husband Devisingh
Shekhawat, parliamentarians, and senior government officials.
The visit to both the East Asian nations are part of
country`s `Look East Policy` aimed at furthering mutual
relationships with them.
South Korea, a manufacturing hub, is known for being a
home to companies like LG, Samsung, Hyundai and Daewoo --
renowned for producing world class electronic appliances,
automobiles, and other Information Technology based products.
South Korean President Lee Myung bak had in January
last year visited India as a chief guest at the country`s
Republic Day celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?