President presented publication on panchayati raj
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee was presented an encyclopaedic publication on the status of panchayati raj institutions in the country, an official release said on Thursday.
Mukherjee received the first copy of the 737-page "Status of Panchayati Raj in the States and Union Territories of India 2013" at the Rashtrapati Bhavan on Wednesday, the statement said.
The volume traces the history of rural local governments from the colonial period to the present day.
It was presented by general editor George Mathew, the chairman of the Institute of Social Sciences, in the presence of former panchayati raj minister Mani Shankar Aiyar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing