Prez, PM greet people on Eid
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice- President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today greeted the people on Id-ul-Fitr, saying the festival signifies fraternity and brotherhood and inspires all to work towards building a peaceful and prosperous society.
In his message, Mukherjee said the festival marks the culmination of the period of fasting during the Holy month of Ramzan which is a month of blessings and forgiveness.
"The festival reminds us of our duties towards the poor and downtrodden as well as the need for charity and generosity towards all," he said.
Vice-President Ansari said the festival signifies the traditional expression of fraternity and brotherhood across the country.
"May this festival unite all humanity in a common bond of understanding and inspire all to work tirelessly towards building a harmonious, peaceful and prosperous society," he said.
In his message, Prime Minister Singh said the festival is an occasion for happiness and is marked by the spirit of brotherhood and sacrifice.
"May Id this year further strengthen our cultural bonds and bring peace and prosperity to all," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days